Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Night Life

A ballade. A very untraditional ballade, but it follows the form. Maybe the result of a combination of Sookie Stackhouse overload and a good dose of allergy medicine. Maybe I really need to move my dreamcatcher. :)


Night Life

Evil sounds find their way
into my dreams at night,
where demons love to play
far from the burning light;
they fill my mind with fright
and draw me close to tears;
it's a bewitching sight
that plays upon my fears.

The spirits rest by day
then dance with morbid might
to music filled with grey.
Upon the starless night
the witches take their flight;
their cries fill frightened ears.
To my savage delight
they play upon my fears.

Lost souls in disarray
descend from unknown height
to where the timid pray
and shiver in the night.
Unholy fires burn bright
and glow in eyes that leer;
unknown terrors take flight
and play upon my fears.

And now, it's near daylight.
Images grow unclear,
'til ghouls again, next night,
will play upon my fears.



side note: For selection of poetic form each day, I am using an updated edition of my old college poetry text "The Book of Forms" by Lewis Turco.

No comments:

Visitors So Far....