Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Time to get moving!

I have never been what you would call a gym rat, a fitness queen, or even a dedicated exerciser.  I have belonged to gyms and fitness clubs here and there throughout my life.  I was active at the local health club when my parents were members, going to aerobics, doing nautilus, and playing bad racquetball.  I went to the fitness center at college, more out of boredom than any urge to get fit.

I had stacks of exercise tapes (remember VHS tapes?  I had the whole Kathy Smith collection!) and then a slew of DVDs that I would do in my tiny apartments until I got so bored I just couldn't do them any more. I have tried line dancing, modern dance, aerobics and yoga, belly dancing and pilates. The problem is, even though I really don't like the classes, I get bored when I am working out alone.

So several years ago, before my recent life shift and when I still lived in my adopted home city, I decided to join a gym.  I needed something to do after work besides drink wine and watch old movies, and I was tired of being out of shape and exhausted all the time.  I travel a lot, and it's really hard to climb towers and castles and thousands of stairs when you're not fit.

I had no interest in a public swimming pool (ick), or in yoga and zumba and aerobic classes.  I didn't want a family setting; I have kids at work all day long, and I certainly don't want them running around and yelling while I am trying to work out.  And I wanted a place I could feel comfortable, without all the posturing and oiled bodies, or the cliquey girls clubs.  So Planet Fitness seemed perfect.  Cheap ($10 a month!), near by, and just machines and weights.  I joined, and I loved it.  I went several times a week.  I lost weight and started to get back in shape.

Then my life took a completely unexpected and wonderful turn, and I found myself moving, engaged, married and settled in the span of just a few years.  The only problem is, I fell into the same rut of trying to work out at home and getting bored.  I bought I hand weights, an exercise ball and an elliptical machine.  I brought stacks of DVDs home from the library to try, I borrowed DVDs from friends and streamed workouts on TV.   And let us not forget Wii Fit, sitting there mournfully collecting dust.  I just never stayed with any of it.

And let's face it.  Sitting on the exercise ball, holding the hand weights during Cheers and Fringe and The Doctor and Grimm is great for the posture but not really for much else.

So here we are, three years later; and I am at my heaviest.  I'm uncomfortable and awkward, and I am ready for a change.  I have a spectacular trip in the planning stages (Budapest, Prague, Vienna and Berlin!), and I really want to be fabulous for that. And for myself.  I have some really great clothes that I can't wear anymore.  I refuse to buy any more new clothes until I am back where I want to be (more on that challenge at a later date).

So Planet Fitness, I'm coming back to you.  And I'm bringing the hubby with me this time.   We talked about it and tossed ideas around, and decided it's the perfect blend of close by and cheap and it has just what we both want (the machines for me and the weights for him; plus no kids!).  We're heading there after work tonight to join, and this time I am determined to make it work.  But first, I'd better get a new pair of sneakers....

Stay tuned for occasional updates on this, but I don't see myself becoming a dedicated fitness blogger.  I'm much too scatterbrained for that (I am a gemini, after all).

Thanks for listening.

No comments:

Visitors So Far....