Monday, February 20, 2012

It's the small things

It has recently been brought to my attention that it's now been almost a year since I wrote anything here. And to tell you the truth, I have missed it quite a bit. I just have been lost for a meaningful blogging project. For me to blog, there needs to be a plan. And now I have a new plan.

First, a little back story .... I decided this would be the year I get healthy. And stay healthy. So, I made an appointment and a few weeks ago I went for an annual physical. Well, I say annual, but to be honest it was the First Annual. Blood work analysis and all. And the results weren't all good. Most of the numbers were fine ~ lipids, -emias, blood pressure, were all perfect. My weight isn't perfect (not even close). My sugar was a little elevated (one above normal, so not so bad). And my cholesterol was high. Very high, actually. So, I have been making some changes in my diet and moving a little more. I've lost 8.8 pounds since January 31, so it must be working. But I decided that just wasn't quite enough. It's all well and good to be physically healthy, but I wanted an over all makeover project. Nothing drastic, just something to tweak the edges a little.

I did a little research and found a book. It's called 52 Small Changes: one year to a happier, healthier you by Brett Blumenthal. I looked into it a bit, and I decided it was exactly what I am looking for. I know a few other people who are reading it and they gave me positive feedback. And bonus ~ I only have to read one chapter a week. I invite you to read along with me and see if these changes really do make us happier and healthier. I'm sure the book is available at your library (after a short wait on the holds list, probably). Or you can do as I did and get the book for yourself (the link above is to the Amazon page). Or just follow along with me. I welcome feedback and encouragement. :)

So, here we go....

It all starts today with a glass of water. Well, with 8 glasses of water, actually.

The first week of change is to up the hydration levels. I already drink a good amount of water and seltzer. I do not, however, have any idea of the actual amount. So, starting today, I am going to log my water intake. My goal for now is to drink at least 64 ounces a day. At this writing, I have had 32 ounces; I guess I am off to a good start.

Something tells me this is not going to be quite so easy every week. :)

See you next week. Thanks for reading.

9 comments:

Mimi Foxmorton said...

This is so wonderful!
What an excellent plan!
I huzzah!you and look forward to following!

*hugs*
Fox

MissLorieO said...

Thanks, Fox! I'm really looking forward to it.

Merlyn Mischief said...

I have been trying to drink more water...and mine translates to 1/2 my weight in water....which is 3 Sobe bottles of liquid. (that's ok, you don't have to do the math :)

and I love you HUGE for the book and desire to journey together :)

MissLorieO said...

It's going to be a wonderful journey that we take together, Merlyn. Maybe we can even hijack some others with us along the way. **hugs**

Lynnie said...

Thanks to kidney issues, this is something I had to do some time ago.

Here are some of the things I've learned along the way-

Running to the bathroom every two hours sucks. lol

I keep lime, lemon or orange slices already done up in the *freezer* and pop them in. Tasty and cold. :)

Cold water actually increases you metabolism and helps fight fatigue (this from the urologists). It's a nice little jolt, though I am a firm believer it wakes me up because it makes me have to pee. lol

I also measured out a glass and use that everyday so I know I'm not slacking (too much ;-) )


Sooo good for you going to the Dr.! I haven't worked up the courage to do that yet, so I absolutely tip my hat to you for that and this entire journey!

MissLorieO said...

Thanks, Lynnie. I appreciate the support. :)

Lynnie said...

Always! :-) I've got my pompoms out and ready!


OH!! I totally forgot!!! And straight from the doc at the hospital (I love this one) herbal teas count towards water intake because they have no negative impact on our bodies. Dontcha LOVE that one?!

scotlass66 said...

Good for you; I'm very proud of you and can see good result already!
Love ya!

MissLorieO said...

Thanks, Mom! Love you, too. :-)

Visitors So Far....