Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thoughts askew

I have been thinking about this post for several hours. It's very important for me to set a routine and stick to for a while so the writing starts to flow naturally again. Parts of that have been easy. I love my haiku writing, and I have very much enjoyed getting back to Haiku Monday again. I even wrote one today, although it's not Monday.

Thoughts all jumbled up,
like fall leaves in a whirlwind.
Too much to ponder.

It's just been that kind of day. I have been thinking on what to write, and the thoughts are battling with each other for the forefront. Each wants to be the important one, the topic of a blog or a poem or a story. This is new, sort of like the anti- writer's block. And I am finding it no less frustrating than when my mind was a blank slate, ready for the thoughts to flow and they never came forth.

So, I suppose the thing to do is just to write. And so, here I am. Writing.

It's a gorgeous fall day, warm and yet a bit crisp, sunny and golden. I have the housework done, the soup is defrosting for tonight (I just couldn't get motivated to cook today), Bailey is brushed and frisky, the windows are open to the fresh air, sweaters are being washed for the soon visiting cold weather, and it's Veteran's Day. That's a lot to pack into one sunny Thursday. It's probably a good thing I have tomorrow off, too.

I have a million things I want to do, and at least a thousand that I should do. There are projects I want to start, projects I have started to which I should return, books to be read, movies to be watched, pictures to be sorted, music to be organized, and a spare room that need to be gutted and reorganized.

And yet, all I can do is sit and think. About life, love, friendships, family, winter, steps to take and when to take them, pestering and not giving up, playing and being serious, awkward moments, unexpected delights, chocolate cake, loneliness and recipes. That's a lot of thinking to pack into one sunny Thursday. Again, it's probably a good thing I have tomorrow off.

No comments:

Visitors So Far....