Sunday, March 29, 2009

A million stars upon which to wish

Wow, a million dollars. After taxes, I am assuming. :) It seems like such a tremendous amount, and yet with all of the pundits tossing around totals in the billions and even trillions....

The first hundred thousand would go to my nephews. Actually, a hundred thousand each. For college, I hope. They wouldn't be able to touch it before then, but I'm not sure I'd make college a requirement. Then a hundred thousand to my parents. They've done so much for me; maybe I could get them that much closer to a comfortable retirement.

One hundred thousand to my church. The people, the peace, the sanctuary and the joy has gotten me through times both terrible and exhilarating.

The East Syracuse Free Library would get one hundred thousand. I knew as soon as I started working there as a page, at the age of 16, that I was going to be a librarian.

My current library would get 200,000. There would be conditions. Some would be dedicated to Children's services. That is my specialty, after all. Some would be earmarked for an addition. We desperately need a programming room/auditorium. The rest would be in trust for the general operating budget.

The Red Cross helped to get me through one of the most awful times in my life. I had a house fire and lost just about everything. They deserve $50,000.

The last $150,000 would be split between different cancer research. Ovarian, esophageal and lung.

There. A million dollars, a million dreams, a million wishes. Piece of cake. So, who's giving away the cash? ;)

No comments:

Visitors So Far....