Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spring is springing

March is coming to a gentle close tonight, and April will be coming in with sun and showers and hopefully warmer weather. It has been a busy month. I have been working hard in the apartment, bagging up stuff to give to the Rescue Mission and the women's shelter, organizing the "guest" room, pulling spring things out and packing away the winter frocks. I have also been working outside (Bailey loves that part *grin*), raking and weeding and clearing out the pots in preparation for the flowers (and maybe even some veggies this year).

March was designated as the month of beginning more exercise, and that has been going pretty well. The calorie counting and healthy eating has become a way of life after just 2 months. I gained 18 pounds when I quit smoking (7 months ago ~ hooray for me!!), and as of this morning, I have lost 9 of those pounds. WooHoo!!! I'm truly appreciating the flavours of really good food. Seafood and lean meat, fresh veggies, chicken, salads and soups made flavourful with the right seasonings. Low calorie doesn't have to be low taste, I have discovered. And eating breakfast really does help. And when I exercise, I have enough spare calories for ice cream. That's always a plus!

The past three months I have set a goal for myself that has been practical and sensible and "good for me" in a very obvious way. In January I started this blog and began the project of getting rid of the excess stuff in my life. In February I began counting calories and being aware of my eating patterns and habits. In March I began consciously moving my body more.

For April, I have decided my goal is exploration. I want to get out and find places that are nearby that I have never been. I want to take pictures of nature that I drive by without even really noticing. So, from now on, I am going to try and plan (or not plan) and just go somewhere at least once a week. After work, on the weekend, before work if I'm in late, on my off days. I want to do fun and different (and cheap) things. I may have some different pics to post here from it; we'll see. It's time to be good to me not just in body, but in spirit and soul. It may not always work out to once a week, but I'm going to do my best.

Now a bit of a side note ~ For those of you who have been following all along, thanks for your support, your comments and your overall presence. This has become much more than I anticipated when I first thought up the plan and began the blog. It really means a lot to me to know that there are other people interested in my little life. You all inspire me to be better; I hope in some small way, I can do the same for you!

For those of you who have just stumbled onto me recently, I hope you enjoy the ride; it's been fun so far. :)

p.s. ~ the pictures in today's post are flower shots I took while in Ireland in 2003. Hope you like them. They make me feel like spring is really here.

No comments:

Visitors So Far....